Dear CIIS Community,
The recent escalation in acts of violence and mistreatment of Asian American and Pacific Islander (AAPI) communities is deeply disturbing. We are writing today to say that CIIS stands against all anti-Asian bias and discrimination, and we stand with all those in our communities who have been touched by these horrific events. We want to especially extend our solidarity and support to our AAPI students, faculty, staff, and alumni.
Anti-Asian violence, hate, and discrimination are not new to this nation; they are built upon historical legacies of injustice. The rhetoric of the pandemic has emboldened white supremacists and unleashed anti-Asian racism. The change that is required now can only be achieved with collective investment in and support for communities of color. We encourage all members of our community to work together and invest.
WHAT WE ARE DOING
Join the CIIS Community in Support Initiatives
- CIIS is implementing a Bias Incident Report Form to track and respond to any actions committed against a person or group that are motivated, in whole or in part, by bias against the person’s or group’s sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, race, religion, or disability.
- A virtual healing circle for the AAPI community led by an AAPI clinician is being organized. Details will be announced in the upcoming weeks.
- An ACTCM pop-up ear acupuncture clinic to provide services for the Bay Area AAPI community is in the planning stages. We will announce the details when they are solidified.
- CIIS is making a monetary donation to a frontline organization providing services to Asian communities. Details will be forthcoming.
WHAT YOU CAN DO
Support Current Legislation
The following links provide information on hate crime bills. You can make your voice heard by writing to your state legislators in support.
- Overview of recent bills can be found here.
- CA bills in detail: HR 23 | AB 557 | AB 57 | AB 1440 | AB 1126 | SB 764 | AB 886
Get Involved and Share Your Experience
- APAC Community and Resources for Allies Provides information on how to take concrete actions to support APAC, AAPI, and the greater Asian communities.
- Stopaapihate.org A portal for gathering information and reporting/sharing stories in order to push for better protection, educational resources, and policies that can end incidents of hate, violence, harassment, discrimination, shunning, and child bullying. It is put together by coalition of nonprofits, organizers, and educators.
If you are being affected by anti-Asian violence or harassment, please utilize CIIS’ Wellness Center. For more information, visit the Wellness Center website. Services include:
- Individual and Group Therapy
- Wellness Coaching
- Neolth Online Stress Management Platform
The recent violence against and otherizing of Asian American and Pacific Islander communities cannot be minimized or ignored. Some of you have been personally impacted, whether that is here in the Bay Area or elsewhere across the U.S. Our hearts ache with yours in grief and outrage, and our commitment to stand with and support you is strong and steadfast. Let this also be an opportunity for us as a community to reaffirm our commitment to antiracism in all forms.
About American College of Traditional Chinese Medicine
American College of Traditional Chinese Medicine (ACTCM) has provided affordable, quality health care to the public and trained professionals in acupuncture, massage and Chinese medicine since 1980. In addition to its graduate curriculum, ACTCM offers continuing education, public education, community outreach and clinical services in acupuncture and herbal medicine. ACTCM has been the recipient of many awards for its curriculum, faculty and clinic, and has been voted “Best of the Bay” by both the San Francisco Weekly and the San Francisco Bay Guardian. ACTCM is accredited by the Accreditation Commission for Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine and is a private, nonprofit, 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization.