Privacy & FERPA

Student academic records are maintained in permanent files in the Student Records Office. A student record contains documents relating to a student including but not limited to: admissions, grade reports and transcripts, quarterly registration, tuition payments, correspondence, comprehensive exam scores, the tuition agreement form, and health documents. ACTCM protects student records in accordance with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974, as amended. By appointment, a student may examine his or her records during regular business hours.

Frequently Asked Questions

What are student records?
These include admissions records, transfer credit evaluations, health records, enrollment agreements, quarterly registration, grades, program evaluations, transcript requests, evidence of academic progress and practical advancement in the Clinic as well as clinic hours and patient contacts.

Are students prohibited from accessing certain of their own student records?
Yes. Students are not allowed access to:
1) Financial statements of parents/guardians;
2) Confidential statements to which the student has waived access rights;
3) Records containing information about another student

What can be disclosed to third parties (including parents and spouses)?
Student records information falls into two general categories:
1) Directory or Public information, to which parents have access, and
2) Confidential information, to which third parties may have access only if the student signs an appropriate written authorization.

What information is considered to be directory/public at ACTCM?
Student name, address, email address, telephone number, sex, date and place of birth, enrollment status, major field of study, dates of attendance, degrees, awards received, most recent previous educational institutions attended, past and present activities, and academic status.

Can a student request withholding of directory/public information?
Yes, a student may request in writing that directory information be withheld, otherwise FERPA permits the College to release directory information on a student.

Which student records can a parent or spouse obtain without prior authorization?
Directory information may be obtained by a parent or spouse without prior authorization.

What if a health or safety emergency situation arises and a parent or spouse needs access to a student’s record?
Requests should be directed to the Registrar at (415) 282-7600 x17, with a description of the need to contact the student and nature of the emergency. The Registrar may disclose a limited amount of information to appropriate parties in connection with an emergency when the information is necessary to protect the health and safety of the student or other persons.

Contact Us