How to Apply
To apply you will need to submit the following materials:
• Completed Online Application
• Application fee ($65)
• Official sealed transcripts from all institutions attended
• Letters of recommendation (2)
• Current resume
• Statement of purpose essay
Application deadlines are as follows:*
| Spring 2020 Semester
|| December 1st, 2019
| Summer 2019 Semester
|| April 1st, 2019
| Fall 2019 Semester
|| August 1st, 2019
*A completed Health Certificate will be required upon acceptance.
*Applications submitted after the application deadline will still be considered. Priority, however, is given to those individuals whose applications are received before the official deadline.
Where to Send Application Materials
All application pieces with the exception of the Online Application Form
can be emailed to ACTCMadmissions@ciis.edu or mailed to:
ACTCM at CIIS Admissions Office
455 Arkansas Street
San Francisco 94107
Please send us your official transcripts from all academic institutions. You can mail official sealed transcripts or email us your electronic official transcripts.
Transcripts from institutions outside the US or Canada require a foreign credit evaluation through World Education Services (WES).
Letters of Recommendation
Letters of recommendation should be from individuals who have been teachers, mentors, supervisors, or other professionals (other than relatives and friends) who can comment on your ability to succeed within the program. Please have either the Letter of Recommendation Form or written letter sent directly to us from each recommender.
Please submit a complete resume and include the following if applicable:
- Education and post-graduate training
- Work history and professional experience
- Professional and health care licenses received
Statement of Purpose
Please submit a typed, double-spaced essay of approximately 500 words in response to the following questions:
- Discuss the personal and professional reasons that have led you to pursue a graduate degree in Traditional Chinese Medicine.
- Why do you wish to study at ACTCM specifically?
- What do you hope to learn/gain from this experience, both personally and professionally?
- What do you hope to contribute to the ACTCM community?
- What specific traits and experiences do you have that you believe will allow you to be successful, both in ACTCM’s degree program and as a future TCM practitioner?
GPA Statement (for those with a GPA under 3.0)
Applicants with cumulative GPAs less than 3.0 must submit an additional GPA
Statement in order to be considered for admission. This statement should be a
minimum of 250 words and discuss the following:
- What are the reasons you struggled academically?
- What you have done professionally and academically post-graduation that demonstrates that you are dedicated to TCM and capable of performing well in a rigorous academic environment?
The College accepts applications for each semester and students are encouraged to apply as early as a year in advance for the desired semester. Applications are reviewed as soon as the Admissions Office has received all of the required application materials. Once materials are received and reviewed, students will be notified and a time for an interview will be scheduled. Applicants will be notified of their status within 2 weeks following the interview (phone interviews are available for out-of-state and international students).
International Student Information and Admission Requirements
Transfer Student Information
To enter the Master of Science in Traditional Chinese Medicine (MSTCM) program, you must have completed the following requirements before applying:
- A minimum of 90 semester- or 135 quarter-units from an accredited U.S. institution of higher education or a foreign equivalent.* Credits must be at the college level and be applicable toward a degree program such as an associate’s degree or bachelor’s degree.
- A grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 or higher. However, a GPA below 3.0 does not automatically disqualify an applicant and ACTCM will consider prospective students whose GPA is between 2.0 and 3.0. These individuals are required to submit a GPA Statement and are encouraged to contact the Office of Admissions at firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss their options.
- Demonstrated competency in English, or a minimum score of 550 on the paper-based (PBT) TOEFL test or 80 on the internet test for international students.
- TOEFL: 80 test score.
TOEFL is an Internet-based test. The CIIS TOEFL code is 4807. Visit the TOEFL website.
- Pearson’s Test of English Academic (PTE): 53 test score.
Visit the Pearson’s website.
- IELTS 6.0 band score
Visit the IELTS website
*Approval status for the foreign equivalency of each institution will be determined by the Admissions Committee.