Master of Science in Traditional Chinese Medicine
Ancient Wisdom, Modern Healthcare
Join ACTCM at CIIS on a truly remarkable career path of fulfillment, transformation, and holistic health in the field of Chinese medicine and acupuncture. The Master of Science in Traditional Chinese Medicine (MSTCM) is a comprehensive acupuncture program designed to lead students to the level of knowledge and clinical proficiency necessary to become a successful independent health care provider—whether as an individual practitioner or as part of an integrative medicine team.
A Master’s Degree from a World Renowned School
ACTCM students receive the highest standards of instruction, in a scholarly academic environment that has one of the strongest records and reputations in the country of producing knowledgeable healers and leaders at the forefront of acupuncture.
ACTCM emphasizes hands-on clinical training in conjunction with the study of theoretical material, allowing students to gain an understanding of, and appreciation for, the depth of the medicine. Our master’s program comprises of the following areas of study: Chinese medicine, acupuncture therapeutics, herbal medicine, biomedicine, and clinical training.
Program Start Dates: Spring (early January), Summer (early May), and Fall (early September)
Now Accepting Applications for the Summer 2018 Semester. Apply Now!
RSVP to our Open House: meet our amazing community of healers, explore our herb medicine garden, and sit-in on a class.
Schedule a Campus Tour
Explore our Webinars
Request our Program Brochure
ACTCM at CIIS
ACTCM joined the California Institute of Integral Studies (CIIS) as it fourth school in 2015. The merger expanded resources and opportunities for acupuncture and mental health education and research. With nearly 40 years of rich history, ACTCM continues to lead and shape education in Chinese medicine through innovative programming, conservation and community activism, policy leadership, and collaborative partnerships. ACTCM at CIIS is proud to be one of the few acupuncture schools in the country approved by both national accreditor (ACAOM) and regional accreditor (WSCUC).
- Nationally & Regionally Accredited Accreditation by WSCUC and ACAOM uniquely positions the college to offer an educational experience that upholds the highest standards of learning while also providing unique resources for students and alumni.
- Clinical Education Students have the opportunity to intern at ACTCM’s on-site Acupuncture & Herbal Clinic, Auricular Clinic, and several specialized clinical sites in the Bay area which include community health clinics, academic medical centers, hospitals and more.
- Herbal Education Our herbal program is one of the most comprehensive in the country, with education in herbal theory, identification, and function of more than 500 herbs. Students have access to the herbal lab/clinic and student-run herbal garden containing over 150 types of herbs and plants that hail from China, Japan, Korea, Europe and North and South America.
- World Renowned Faculty consists of both Western and Eastern-trained practitioners who have experience working in integrative medicine and hold the understanding necessary for dealing with today’s health problems.
- Top Scores on Licensure Exams Our students consistently receive the highest scores on the national and California licensure exams. In 2016 a 100% of our recent graduates passed the California Acupuncture Licensing Examination (CALE).
- Partnerships with China We offer a two-week study abroad program in Hangzhou, three-month scholarship studies in Henan, and postgraduate training opportunities with leading Chinese herbal company Tong Ren Tang.
- Student Resources ACTCM provides a student-mentorship program, tutoring, weekly lunch presentations, ACTCM scholarships, one of the largest TCM library collections, and career workshops to aid in student success both in school and in practice after graduation.
- Life in San Francisco! ACTCM at CIIS is located in a diverse, vibrant city that attracts healers from around the world to practice, teach, and explore new models of integrative care.
- Amazing Alum Community Our alum are pioneering new therapies and integrative care experiences, founding new health and holistic organizations, and bringing the benefits of TCM into new areas of health care and places around the world.
ACTCM at CIIS also offers an entry-level First Professional Doctorate program that incorporates the Master’s degree curriculum with an additional focus on integrative medicine and collaborative care. View our degree comparison chart to further understand the differences between programs.
We would love to connect with you. If you have more questions, please connect with admissions, view our FAQs, or call 415-282-7600 or (415-401-0464 direct line to admissions office).