Accessing Canvas for the First Time
Canvas User Name and Password:
- For all CIIS academic users (students and faculty) enrolled in a course, your Canvas username is your CIIS ID#. This number is emailed to users and is printed on the front of a user’s CIIS ID card.
- For non-academic Public Programs users that have not been issued a CIIS ID#, please closely follow the log-in instructions in your enrollment email.
- If you are not sure if you have been issued a CIIS ID# or do not know it, email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Important note: Canvas and MyCIIS are separate systems that require separate passwords. The first step to accessing Canvas is setting a Canvas password.
Setting (resetting) your Canvas password:
A Canvas password is user generated. The following instructions explain how to set (and reset) a Canvas password.
- First, verify your internet browser’s compatibility.
- Next, go to the CIIS Canvas website, http://ciis.instructure.com
- On the CIIS Canvas website, select “Forgot Password?” Do not enter your CIIS ID# on this page until you have set (or reset) your password.
- On the page that opens after selecting “Forgot Password?,” enter your CIIS ID# in the space provided and select “Request Password.”
- Canvas will promptly send an email to set (or reset) your Canvas password to your student @mymail.ciis.edu email.
- Carefully check your email for this email from “Instructure Canvas.” It may be in a folder outside of your main email, including in your spam folder.
- If you are not sure of your email address on file at CIIS, contact email@example.com for assistance.
- If you are not able to find the email from Instructure Canvas after verifying your email address on file at CIIS, contact Canvas support at 1-844-462-8394 or firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
- After setting your Canvas password, return to the CIIS Canvas website (http://ciis.instructure.com) and enter your CIIS ID# and new Canvas password to log-in.