First Professional Doctorate (DACM)
At the Forefront of Holistic Care with an Acupuncture Doctorate
Our first professional doctorate is an exciting new degree program for individuals who wish to enter the acupuncture and Chinese medical field at the doctoral level and do not have prior training in acupuncture and Chinese medicine.
At a time when acupuncture is becoming an increasingly valued treatment in mainstream care for patient wellness, it is important for acupuncturists to be equipped with the knowledge, communication, and research skills to effectively work with other healthcare professionals. This degree known as the Doctor of Acupuncture and Chinese Medicine (DACM) incorporates our Master’s curriculum of Chinese medicine, acupuncture therapeutics, herbal medicine, biomedicine, and clinical training with an additional focus on integrative and collaborative health care, research literacy, and evidence-informed practices.
Program Start Dates: Spring (early January), Summer (early May), and Fall (early September)
Now Accepting Applications for the Summer 2018 Semester. Apply Now!
RSVP to Open House: meet our amazing community of healers, explore our herb medicine garden, and sit-in on a class.
Schedule a Campus Tour
Explore our Webinars
View our Program Brochure
ACTCM at CIIS
ACTCM joined the California Institute of Integral Studies (CIIS) as it fourth school in 2015. The merger expanded resources and opportunities for acupuncture and mental health education and research. With nearly 40 years of rich history, ACTCM continues to lead and shape education in Chinese medicine through innovative programming, conservation and community activism, policy leadership, and collaborative partnerships. ACTCM at CIIS is proud to be the first institution in the United States to offer a first professional doctorate degree approved by a national accreditor (ACAOM) and a regional accreditor (WSCUC).
- A History of Exemplary Education Students receive the highest standards of instruction, in a scholarly academic environment that has one of the strongest records and reputations in the country of producing knowledgeable healers and leaders at the forefront of acupuncture.
- Clinical Education Students have the opportunity to intern at ACTCM’s on-site Acupuncture & Herbal Clinic, Auricular Clinic, and several specialized clinical sites in the Bay area which include community health clinics, academic medical centers, hospitals and more.
- Herbal Education Our herbal program is one of the most comprehensive in the country, with education in herbal theory, identification, and function of more than 500 herbs. Students have access to the herbal lab/clinic and student-run herbal garden containing over 150 types of herbs and plants that hail from China, Japan, Korea, Europe and North and South America.
- World Renowned Faculty Faculty consists of both Western and Eastern-trained practitioners who have experience working in integrative medicine and hold the understanding necessary for dealing with the health problems of today’s modern society.
- Top Scores on Licensure Exams Our students consistently receive the highest scores on the national and California licensure exams. In 2016 a 100% of our recent graduates passed the California Acupuncture Licensing Examination (CALE).
- Nationally & Regionally Accredited ACTCM is proud to be the first institution in the United States to offer a first professional doctorate degree approved by a national accreditor (ACAOM) and a regional accreditor (WSCUC). ACTCM continues to be at the forefront and leader in transforming acupuncture and Chinese medicine education.
- Partnerships with China We offer a two-week study abroad program in Hangzhou, three-month scholarship studies in Henan, and postgraduate training opportunities with leading Chinese herbal company Tong Ren Tang.
- Student Resources ACTCM provides a student-mentorship program, tutoring, weekly lunch presentations, ACTCM scholarships, one of the largest TCM library collections, and career workshops to aid in student success both in school and in practice after graduation.
- Life in San Francisco! ACTCM at CIIS is located in a diverse, vibrant city that attracts healers from around the world to practice, teach, and explore new models of integrative care.
- Amazing Alum Community Our alum are pioneering new therapies and integrative care experiences, founding new health and holistic organizations, and bringing the benefits of TCM into new areas of health care and places around the world.
View our degree comparison chart to further understand the differences between our programs.
We would love to connect with you. If you have more questions, connect with admissions, view our DACM FAQ, or call 415-282-7600 or (415-401-0464 direct line to admissions office).